Wrong. It can hurt. It can kill. All it takes is an innocent baby turtle to glimpse the glad-wrap and go in for a nibble. The plastic is caught in its throat and the baby is living its last moments.
It is not that hard to kill. Oh no, it is easy. Easy enough to drop a Tiny Teddies wrapper or a ball of glad-wrap easy enough to stuff a chips wrapper down a pipe. It really is easy to kill.
Why shouldn't I litter?
- It is murder. It kills thousands of animals - every species has fallen victim to the carelessness of humans. Pollution means death.
- It is healthy. A walk to the bin won't kill you - actually, it will be good for you! Imagine how much extra exercise you will get if you make the walk to the bin for the rest of your life.
- It doesn't impress anyone. Murder? Cool? Uh, no. Being lazy? Uh, just get off your butt and put it in the bin. Laziness is so not cool.
- It ruins the beauty of places. How many times have you gone to sit in a nice spot only to be met with someone's old Twisties wrapper and an empty packet of Extra gum? Again, not cool.
- It is wrecking the Earth! This is the biggest problem. Every year, rubbish is swept through creeks and rivers until it gets to the sea - and, underwater, a huge rubbish dump is growing. By 2008 it was twice the size of the United States, and that will continue to grow until we get off our backsides and do something about it.